Sunday, November 7, 2010

Here's to You (Mr. and) Mrs. Robinson

Although there are many things to like about England, their mail delivery system leaves a lot to be desired. One package that was mailed to us almost two months ago is still stuck in customs. Despite our bad history with international deliveries, our dear friends Deron and Jessica have it figured out. This past week, we received this bundle of pure Texas goodness from them:

Spices from Pendery's in Fort Worth
And the most amazing part is that the package made it from Tarrant County to Oxford in less than one week. Here's to you, Mr. and Mrs. Robinson!

On the same day that we received their package, I had my first shooting practice with the Oxford University Rifle Club. It was a great time and, although I was a little rusty, I was pleasantly surprised that my marksmanship was not too bad.


The best part of the afternoon was when the club president commented that I must have shot competitively before. I told him that I actually had not, but that I had owned a gun since I was about eight years old.  He then got this horrified look on his face and asked "Where are you from?"  I told him "Texas," and his response was "Rrriiiight."

So, do you think it is a coincidence that (1) on the same day, we received a package full of chili and fajita seasoning and I practiced my aim with the Oxford Rifle Club and (2) we live in a town with a herd of deer corralled in a deer park?
The deer park at Magdalen College
I think not.  Anyone hungry for venison chili?

1 comment:

  1. I saw the Street's this weekend in Lubbock and of course we talked about you. miss you!
    dayme

    ReplyDelete